The origins of the Cava Romana in Aurisina are lost in the mists of time. The first historical references date back to the Roman Empire when, it is assumed, the huge blocks of marble were loaded onto transport ships with the aid of slides specially dug into the cliff face.
It has been scientifically proven that the stone from the quarries was used extensively in the construction of Aquileia from the 1st Century B.C. through to the 5th Century A.D.
The Cava Romana was reactivated in 1845 under the Austro-Hungarian Empire for the construction of important public works.
Following on from this, as a result of the quarry's equipment, amongst the most complete and 'high tech' of its time, the Cava Romana was able to play its part in the renovation of Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Trieste and Munich.
The quarry then passed into the ownership of Her Royal Highness Irene of the House of Savoy, Duchess of Aosta until 1947 when was purchased by Giuseppe Sonzogno. Since then the company has been carefully managed, becoming the great industrial reality that Elisabetta Sonzogno continues to lead today, honouring its history.